Friday, September 10, 2010

Hear It Live!

I was only eight years old when Frampton Comes Alive was released. But I still remember hearing "Baby, I Love Your Way" and the other singles from that album on the radio. And I remember the chill that went through me hearing the crowd roar in the backround.

There is something about live recordings. I was a Rush fan in high school. It was their live albums All the World's a Stage and Exit... Stage Left that cemented my fandom. Even today, if I am considering buying a CD by a new band, I usually go to Youtube to see them perform live first.

At the library we have a lot more live music than people realize. We have both CDs and DVD performances, and the styles range from Manilow to The Clash. Check out the Hear It Live display on the 3rd floor. Or check our catalog to see what Live CDs we carry.

What live CDs and DVDs do you love?

3 comments:

Karen said...

Cheap Trick's original "Live At Budokan" really struck a chord with me. They were my favorite band at the time and suddenly they became seemingly everyone's favorite band - so it was both good and bad. My brother bought it as a Japanese import so we had it earlier than most people which made this nerdy suburban kid feel kinda cool. More recently, I loved Leonard Cohen's "Live From London" album and DVD. There is still nothing like experiencing great live music.

Bob said...

"All the World's a Stage" -- the first live album by Rush -- is a terrific introduction to the band's early energy. And, as my ears were -- and still are -- more attuned to rock in the mid-'70s to late-'80s, I already was a fan of Journey. Unfortunately, the band's "Captured" album sounded lousy -- the bass solo was barely perceptible -- but again, it captured the band's energy in its Steve Perry heyday. I'd also say Johnny Cash's live album at Folsom Prison is timeless.

Linda K, said...

Of course my favorite is Neil Diamond's most recent concert tour covered in the Live at Madison Square Garden DVD. My sisters and I saw the same show at the United Center in Chicago and we're all big fans.

Post a Comment